Semiconductor Equipment Engineering & Manufacturing Solutions
Owens Design is an industry leader in product development and manufacturing for semiconductor equipment. We help accelerate our customer’s next-generation technologies from prototype to a Fab-ready product. In our state of the art facility, we design and manufacture a wide range of semiconductor equipment including inspection and metrology tools as well as wafer processing and handling systems.
For over 35 years, we have focused our product development processes to effectively take our customer’s semiconductor equipment technologies from prototype to Fab-ready products. We have successfully delivered hundreds of tools to all major Semiconductor Fabs around the world. Our team of highly skilled engineers create customize solutions based on proven platforms to accelerate and scale your product development and manufacturing operations.
Semiconductor Equipment Manufacturing Development Process
At Owens Design, we start with an exploratory process that differentiates us from other equipment development providers. Semiconductor equipment product development can be very expensive, so we have developed a phased development process to help our customers determine the best approach and architect a cost-effective solution.
This multi-phased process minimizes roadblocks later on in the development process.
1. Develop a Cost-free ROM*
Owens Design estimates the cost to design and build the prototype along with cost for production systems.
2. Phase I
If this fits the customer, Owens Design moves on to Phase 1 which is a 4 - 6 week in-depth collaborative process between the customer and Owens Design. This phase helps to reduce risk and accelerate the development cycle by establishing clear goals and specifications and selecting the overall architecture.
3. Tool Development
Following Phase 1, the customer and Owens Design will move on with the tool development and build.
*rough order of magnitude cost (+/- 25%)
Our Semiconductor Equipment Product Development Services
We deliver product designs, prototype builds, CIP, customer specials and volume manufacturing services for the semiconductor and display original capital equipment (OEM) industries.
- Metrology and inspection equipment (delivered 19 product lines and 400+ shipped systems)
- Front end vacuum process equipment such as etch and deposition
- Back end equipment including bonding, cleaning, testing, and Wafer-Level-Packaging
- Atmospheric processing tools such as wet clean and printing
Our capabilities include:
- Substrate handling: thick, thin, and bonded wafer pairs, backside, edge and non-contact wafer handling
- Carrier handling: Film frames, dies and die trays, FOUP’s, SMIF pods, cassettes, multiple generations of display glass, flexible roll-to-roll web
- Controlled Environments
- Pressure regimes from atmospheric to ultra-high (10-6torr) vacuum.
- Thermal, vibration, humidity, O2 , B-field, light tight management
- Contamination: ISO Class 1, ISO 2 with mechanisms
- Precision alignment, staging, motion control micron-level repeatability
- Standards compliance, EFEM & SECS/GEM integration
Owens Design Case Studies
Owens Design has developed custom solutions to accelerate semiconductor equipment manufacturer time-to-market worldwide. A sample of our projects include:
Owens Design is your partner…
…for comprehensive semiconductor engineering, prototype builds, and scalable manufacturing services. For more information on semiconductor equipment product development, our advanced inspection and metrology equipment development services, or more reach out to us today!