Why Owens Design?
Owens Design Inc. (ODI) is an engineering services company that designs and builds advanced custom manufacturing equipment for technology companies from VC-funded start-ups to S&P500 corporations. We specialize in technically challenging projects. For over 35 years ODI has been developing leading edge manufacturing equipment in Silicon Valley, specializing in the development of complex, high speed, high precision and mission-critical process, metrology and automation factory equipment.
ODI is an engineer’s dream company. If you believe that “variety is the spice of life” then ODI is the place for you. We serve a diverse range of industries such as biomedicine, consumer electronics, electric cars/energy storage, solar, semiconductor, display, laser processing, and a constantly growing list of emerging technologies being developed by Silicon Valley’s most innovative companies. Every engineer works on 4+ projects a year, and the equipment we develop covers the range from $100k benchtop work stations to multi-million dollar semiconductor wafer metrology tools. A team environment, ODI runs fast with small teams focused on individual projects. Engineers own their projects from start to finish and have complete responsibility for their part of the design from concept through detailing, build & commissioning.
Who Are We Seeking?
Are you a passionate mechanical engineering expert with a flair for innovation? Do you thrive within collaborative environments, creating cutting-edge equipment poised to drive the next wave of impactful technological products?
As the Senior/Staff Mechanical Design Engineer, you’ll leverage your expertise to conceive, design and develop effective solutions for mechanical systems that meet both specified and implicit requirements. If you’re well-versed in mechanical engineering principles and enthusiastic about pioneering automation solutions that empower customer technologies, we’re excited to connect with you!
Do You Possess the Following?
Creative, Conceptual & Critical Thinking: Your creativity shines in early-stage design, and you adeptly navigate complex scenarios by dissecting problems and assessing potential solutions, even in uncharted territory.
Well Versed in Automation Manufacturing Industry: Your profound grasp of automation systems, robotics, control systems, and other automation technologies enable you to impart insights effectively within a team.
Analytical With Strong Attention to Detail: You’re skilled at analyzing data and translating results into data-driven decisions that optimize processes and enhance performance, recognizing precision’s role in ensuring top-notch manufacturing quality.
30-60 days and ongoing:
- Learns Owens Design, Inc. (ODI) mission, principles, policies, and operational procedures integrating into the organizational culture
- Gets acquainted with fundamental standards and tools used for documenting designs, encompassing BOM structure, SolidWorks file management, part numbering methods, purchasing protocols, and network file storage.
- Collaborates with a Senior Engineer to understand concept development at Owens Design.
- Starts to brainstorm for innovative ideas for smaller subsystems while asking insightful questions to gain knowledge.
- Begins learning cost estimation, reviewing tool specifications and generating diverse mechanical architecture concepts to propose potential solutions to customers.
- Gains a foundational grasp of the file structure engaging in high level conceptual tasks within projects subject to evaluation by a Director of Engineering.
- Works with the customers, guided by seasoned team members, architects, or program managers.
- Attends weekly 1-1 meetings with a Director of Engineering to review progress, project statuses, troubleshoot issues, and collaborate on solutions.
3 months and ongoing:
- Collaborates closely with the Sales and Business Development team, actively scouting new program opportunities and engaging deeply with on-going projects.
- Takes a hands-on approach in the design process of ongoing projects, gradually assuming autonomy and expanded responsibilities.
- Participates in informal internal meetings and engages in quarterly reviews with the manager to discuss performance.
6-12 months and ongoing:
- Displays proficiency by executing tasks with minimal supervision, proactively identifying potential bottlenecks in project schedules and ensuring smooth project flow.
- By 12 months, defines and develops operational concepts, requirements and engineering specifications, delivering systems that meet performance, cost and schedule criteria.
- Cultivates client confidence to a level where enduring relationships are established fostering future projects.
- Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or other related field highly preferred
- 10+ years of hands on experience in conceptualizing and designing new tools from scratch required
- Experience in automation and equipment design and the manufacturing industry highly preferred
- Familiarity with various types of mechanical devices and automation required
- Proficient in SolidWorks (i.e., design, simulation, analysis, collaboration, and documentation) a plus
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint) and BOMs a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills required
- Proven ability to effectively manage multiple priorities and priority shifts a must
- Demonstrates a strong ability to work independently with a high level of organization and follow through a must
- Exceptional problem-solving skills and ability to identify a solution both independently and in collaboration with a team a must
Compensation & Company Benefits
- Salary Range: $180-210K
- Health: Medical / Dental / Vision Insurance / Life and Disability Insurance
- Well-Being: Paid Time Off / Paid Holidays
- Financial Wellness: 401k / Training Allowance $2,500 per year in applicable expenses related to furthering professional development in career related topics / Profit Sharing based on business profitability
How to Apply
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org specifying in the subject line that position in which you are interested.